Apple Organizations are listed in the Orchard Chapter under Awards, Memberships and Publications.
- Island Organic Producers Association (IOPA)
This is a bio-regional organization which certifies farms where vegetables, fruit and animals are raised in sustainable, natural ways without contaminants harmful to the food, land and environment. The region covered includes Vancouver Island and all neighbouring islands. IOPA certified growers are required to follow stringent guidelines to ensure the integrity of their produce. The IOPA label gives assurances to the consumer that the grower has employed acceptable methods of organic production. IOPA
- Canadian Organic Growers (COG) – Publication: Cognition
COG membership secretary,
Box 6408, Station J,
- South Islands Organic Producers Association (affiliation of COG)
- Island Natural Growers (ING)
- Certified Organic Association of B.C.(COABC)
- LLAFF (Linking Land and Future Farmers), 604-642-3671- or 250-642-3671
This program is designed to get young persons working on farms to learn the skills, with the farmer supplying room and board.
- SOIL (Stewards of Irreplaceable Land), 604-642-2161 or 250-642-2161 This program is designed to get farmers connected with some land on which to start farming and is created to overcome the huge cost to purchase land to become a farmer.
- WOOFER – (Workers on Organic Farms)
A program linking young people wanting to work on organic farms with farms needing labour. Usually the farm supplies only room and board.
Books and Magazines
- Business Farmer magazine, (July 1996 issue was a special agri-tourism issue) 1496 West 72nd Avenue,
- British Columbia Agri Digest Directory
RR#2, Chase, BC, VOE-1M0, Phone/Fax 250-679-5362
A complete listing of all agricultural resources in BC.
- The Northwest Gardeners Resource Directory
By Stephanie Feeney,
59 Strawberry Pr.,
ISBN-0-9639853-1-0 18 Chapters and 242 pages of agricultural resources in Washington, Oregon and British Columbia.
- Washington Apple Country (a beautiful coffee table book about apples)
Photography by John Marshall, Essays by Rick Steigmeyer
Graphic Arts Centre Publishing Co,
Portland, Oregon, 97210
Please feel free to submit to me any more information that is applicable.
Submit email to Harry Burton.